Summer is well underway and that means we’re only a few short months away from the second annual Chicago Tech Rocks benefit event!
There’s no shortage of fun and great music at the event, but it’s important to remember why we’re bringing the tech community together. This year we’ve selected four ultra-deserving Chicago organizations that are doing all they can to train the city’s next generation of tech talent and leadership; Chicago Tech Academy, Tech Forward, Geek League and Highwater Robotics. In the coming months we will highlight each organization but today, we’re starting with Chicago Tech Academy.
What is Chicago Tech Academy?
Chicago Tech Academy is a high school whose mission is to educate, empower and connect a diverse next generation of entrepreneurial thinkers to discover their passions, succeed in college and thrive in a digital world. The high school was founded in 2008 and is located between historic Taylor Street, Pilsen, and the UIC campus.
ChiTech in Action
Because the school puts such a focus on real-world and applicable experience, their approach to academics and education is very hands on. In addition to four-year college prep course load, ChiTech relies on project based learning, entrepreneurial principles, STEM education, and real world experience with Chicago companies to prepare its students. Things like:
- 21st century skills like innovation, critical thinking, entrepreneurship, collaboration and communication
- Students take a tech or entrepreneurship class every day for the entire four years they attend the school--class options include coding, engineering, website & video game design, graphic arts and more
- Work-based projects and internships that help students explore different career-paths and gain real world experience. Guest lectures and behind-the-scenes field trips with our leading technology partners
- Professional Mentoring which links students with personalized guidance from industry leaders
But, in addition to the technical side, ChiTech offers a number of more traditional courses and extracurricular activities like athletics, 20+ student-led groups, AP courses, music and art classes and a robust college counseling program.
ChiTech by the numbers
Chicago Tech Academy is an appealing option for so many in the city and it shows through their numbers.
- 276 students are currently enrolled and the school is rapidly growing to their goal of 400
- 50 faculty members
- 90% daily attendance rate
- The school also has a student make up representing 38 zip codes in the Chicagoland area.
Catch up with Chicago Tech Academy
With such a strong focus on project-based learning, the Chicago Tech Academy relies on the community to help support its initiatives. If you’d like to get involved with the school, there are a number of opportunities including hosting interns, becoming a mentor and hosting a lunch presentation, among other things. Full details are available here.
And, of course, the best way to meet the Chicago Tech Academy team is by snagging your tickets to Chicago Tech Rocks! Tickets go on sale this week so get yours early before they sell out.
Over the next few weeks we’ll introduce you to our three remaining beneficiary organizations. In the meantime, please help us meet our fundraising goal of $200,000; buy your event tickets now and help us spread the word!
When: September 28, 2017; doors open at 6:00pm, first band plays at 6:45
Where: Metro Chicago, 3730 N Clark St, Chicago, IL 60613
Openers: The evening will open with performances from two local bands; Bottlerocket and The Noise FM.
And, of course, nothing would be possible without the incredible generosity from our sponsors generous sponsors: Synap, kCura, TechNexus, Shure, ZokuVault, SongFinch, and ChicagoInno. For information on sponsorship opportunities, please visit: https://www.chicagotechrocks.org/be-a-sponsor